Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Kamikazi header

  1. #1
    Inactive Member randomwalk101's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 19th, 2000
    Posts
    1,344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I tried to search in the archives..but nothing comes up...

    I'm using DC Sports header. The thing is it has 2" collector...too damn small for FI application. I want to get a Kamikazi to replace it. I'm still using stock catalytic converter. What collector size is the Kamikazi comes in? 3" or 2.5"??? Will it bolt onto my stock cat.? Also, what would be a better choice? 4-1 or 4-2-1?

    Also, is it possible/hard to cut off the DC collector and weld a 2.5 or 3" pipe there instead of buying a new header?

    [This message has been edited by randomwalk101 (edited July 31, 2001).]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Sonnyballs's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2001
    Posts
    460
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by randomwalk101:
    I tried to search in the archives..but nothing comes up...

    I'm using DC Sports header. The thing is it has 2" collector...too damn small for FI application. I want to get a Kamikazi to replace it. I'm still using stock catalytic converter. What collector size is the Kamikazi comes in? 3" or 2.5"??? Will it bolt onto my stock cat.? Also, what would be a better choice? 4-1 or 4-2-1?

    Also, is it possible/hard to cut off the DC collector and weld a 2.5 or 3" pipe there instead of buying a new header?

    [This message has been edited by randomwalk101 (edited July 31, 2001).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    You can get the Kami header with a downpipe that will fit the stock cat. The header makes power, but let's just say that the fit/finish is "less than impressive". It gave good gains, but I ended up selling mine partially due to the fact that the fitment caused some very annoying problems. mad

    Sonny

    ------------------
    Sonny Van Hook ([email protected])
    2000 Supercharged Civic Si @ 6psi
    1999 Tonykart/Honda 80cc Shifter

  3. #3
    Inactive Member reddelsol's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 31st, 2000
    Posts
    447
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by randomwalk101:
    Also, is it possible/hard to cut off the DC collector and weld a 2.5 or 3" pipe there instead of buying a new header?

    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Well, I had the intake of my supercharger cut off and rewelded. (to avoid the ABS lines) so I think anything might be possible.


  4. #4
    Inactive Member Corpse's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 13th, 2000
    Posts
    66
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sonny,

    What kind of fitment problems? I heard that the Kami header doesn't fit so well - what problems did came along with the fitment issues?

  5. #5
    Inactive Member JRSCGSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 23rd, 1999
    Posts
    246
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Actually, as far as I know, the Kami header only comes in 4-1, no 421 application as far as I know. The fit and finish on this header is crap compared to the RSR 421 that I had before. I can honestly say though, that I lost noticeable midrange power, but I'm sure that the top end gain is there somewhere. The header comes in 2.25" collector which fits the stock cat and a 2.5" Type-R header, but requires a trip to the muffler shop to make everything fit together well. You'll need either a straight pipe or a 2.5" cat, and to modify this unit because the type r header is longer than our GSRs, so the cat/straightpipe must be shortened to make everything fit. I think when rjaffey and lundgren did it, they said it cost around 2-300 if I'm not mistaken. Not sure if its worth that extra 3-4 hp up top is may give at 6psi.

    Jon

  6. #6
    1fstGSR
    Guest 1fstGSR's Avatar

    Post

    Well I had to cut the B-pipe section (comes off the 4-1 collector) and get it rewelded to clear my Moroso Oil pan. I had a custom 3" exhaust made but I am also running a 12 psi pulley on a 2.0L motor though.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member 2kbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2001
    Posts
    188
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmmm, If the Kami has all these issues, plus there is no downpipe bracket, what is a good second choice, for JRSC'd motors? Any other non-custom header available with larger/shorter primaries? How about a Greddy? I had pretty much decided on the Kami & Carsound cat, but you guys have just about talked me out of it.

    Bill

  8. #8
    Inactive Member newgsrdriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 25th, 2001
    Posts
    270
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Good question, Bill...Ive never been impressed with the quality of Kami's units at all. Definitely makes me reluctant to put one on my car. Anyone prefer an alternative?

    ------------------
    1995 Milano Red GSR w/goodies
    H/A & H/T Teg Forum Mod
    Creeping to the darkside...

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Sonnyballs's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2001
    Posts
    460
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Thumbs up

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Corpse:
    Sonny,

    What kind of fitment problems? I heard that the Kami header doesn't fit so well - what problems did came along with the fitment issues?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    The downpipe section of the header does not run parallel to the ground. It's angled upward about 10 degrees. So, this means that the joint at the cat was not perfect. It would leak and because of the fact it was aimed upward, it raised the cat up and the cat would periodically whack the floorboard. In addition to that, the 3 bolts that bolted the downpipe to the manifold section of the header constantly came loose. Extra long bolts with double nuts cured that problem, but it was a pain in the butt no less.

    It made power, but it was not worth the hassle. Additionally, I would not run a header (unless it is very light) that does not have a support bracket attachment for the bracket by the oil pan. It stabilizes the header and takes some of the stress off of the bolts holding the header to the head (1 piece header) or downpipe to the manifold (2 piece header).

    Sonny

    ------------------
    Sonny Van Hook ([email protected])
    2000 Supercharged Civic Si @ 6psi
    1999 Tonykart/Honda 80cc Shifter

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member rjaffey's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 1999
    Posts
    764
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    OK,

    Here's my experience as it relates to the 2.5" Kami header:

    - You have to customize the exhaust to bolt up to the header.

    - You have to make a rear support bracket to properly support the downpipe at the rear of the engine. This is absolutely TRIVIAL. Whoever customizes the exhaust to fit can do this in about 15 minutes.

    - The down pipe runs perfectly parallel to the underside of engine from front to back. The converter sits exactly where it should under the the floorboards. There is NO problem with ground clearance or anything banging the floorboards under any conditions I've run into. The flex joint which the shop fabricated does NOT leak.

    - The gasket between the header and the downpipe has never blown out and the bolts have never loosened a bit. I attribute this to the use of lock washers on those bolts and the fact that I've got a rear support bracket which prevents the flange in question from seeing excessive stress.

    - The build quality is pretty good; damned good for the price. I've bought a lot of headers for a lot of cars over the last 25 years.

    - The only real problem I've seen with the Kami header is that the individual ports have to be opened up and reshaped a tad with a grinder to provide a proper port matching and transition from the head to the header.

    [This message has been edited by rjaffey (edited July 31, 2001).]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •